Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2020

Hobbying In Place #11 Building the Airfix Handley Page Victor K2/SR.2

What Have I Learned?


Don't believe the hype. Everyone was constantly talking about how good the new Airfix kits are. They are good. But, there were things on this build that didn't and only found out once I was into the final assembly. Very sloppy on my part. Always, always, always check the fit of everything no matter what. If it doesn't fit, fix it so it does. This rule applies for all kits, Airfix, ICM and Tamiya.


My mindset was weird. I went into this as a sidebar build, a sort of mini hobby vacation from my more serious building. Ug. I realized I wasn't really into British aircraft and as the building started to go on longer than I wanted resulting in frustration. It is a cool plane. However, next time I'll build in my real areas of interest.


This is a big model. I forgot the difficulties inherent to this. When you are thinking about a big model remember you will need more space (duh!) and an airbrush that is a fire hose. Getting the finish consistent takes more time. You will also need more space to display. Also harder to photograph.


Painting the camo was hard. Again, this is about expectations. I thought it would be relatively easy to paint, but no. Jet aircraft have their own areas of hardness, pylons, intakes, ordinance and the clean finish. Personally, I think aircraft models are the most difficult, and jets more so.


Anyway, here it is. I enjoyed some of it and really pushed myself to get it done. It drew me into watching documentary's about the Falklands war, which I enjoyed a lot. Going forward I will not be building like this. It needs to be enjoyable.

Now that this update is out of the way, I can write about the stuff I'm doing now. So, next time.

BTW, these wonderful gallery photos were taken by Bill Gudmundson.



No comments:

Post a Comment