 |
Before we go any further, let's talk about Oh! My Goddess. As mentioned before, "Urd" was gifted to me by a club member. I went online to figure out who this mysterious "Urd" was and also find images of the character to use as reference to paint. I had heard of the manga before, but now decided to read it. I was able to find it online though Hoopla. I could only check out ten volumes each month, at that rate it would take five months to read the whole thing. I appropriated my son's library card and was able to increase my limit to twenty volumes a month. I had to ration my reading and limit myself to reading one volume per day at most. I also started keeping an eye on various auction sites and was able to find eight of the regular kits and ten of the Chibi kits. About a month ago I decided I wanted all the manga in print form...you get the idea. Once I decide I am in, I am all in. BTW, the manga is excellent and unlike most manga, has a very good ending. 本題に入る前に、『ああっ女神さまっ』について少しお話ししましょう。以前触れたように、「ウルド」のフィギュアはサークルのメンバーから譲り受けたものです。私はネットで、この謎めいた「ウルド」が何者なのかを調べ、塗装の参考にするための画像も探してみました。以前からその漫画の存在は知っていましたが、これを機に読んでみることにしたのです。ネット上の「Hoopla(フープラ)」というサービスで作品を見つけることができました。ただ、月に10冊までしか借りられず、そのペースだと全巻読み終えるのに5ヶ月もかかってしまいます。そこで息子の図書カードを借りることで、月20冊まで借りられるようにしました。読むペースを調整し、1日に最大1冊までと自分に言い聞かせて読み進めました。また、様々なオークションサイトもこまめにチェックし、通常のキットを8個、「ちび」シリーズのキットを10個見つけることができました。1ヶ月ほど前には、漫画をすべて紙の単行本で揃えたいと思うようになり……お察しの通り、私は一度「これだ」と決めると、とことんのめり込んでしまう性格なのです。ちなみに、この漫画は本当に素晴らしく、多くの漫画とは違って、結末も非常に見事なものでした。 |
 |
Here the figure is with a coat of Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Pink. こちらが「Mr.フィニッシングサーフェイサー1500 ピンク」を塗装した状態のフィギュアです。 |
 |
For the base flesh color I used Liquitex soft body acrylics to mix up a nice medium dark skin tone. Urd is a sort of "proto-gyaru" with white lipstick and dark golden skin. 肌のベース色には、リキテックスのソフトボディ・アクリル絵具を使い、程よい濃さの肌色を調合しました。ウルドは白いリップと小麦色の肌が特徴の、いわば「元祖ギャル」のようなキャラクターです。 |
 |
I masked her feet and slippers and airbrushed Urd's leggings a rich orange. 彼女の足とスリッパをマスキングし、エアブラシでウルドのレギンスを鮮やかなオレンジ色に塗装しました。 |
 |
In the kit's reference photo her leggings are shown as red which never seemed right to me. For the manga Kosuke Fujishima created a number of water color illustrations of the characters. You would often see Belldandy and Skuld (Urd's sisters) in red, but not Urd. The coloration for her typically was in rich tones of gold, brown and black. Here is Urd's first color appearance. Compare the pure red color of Keiichi's reaction to the orange color inside Urd's cape. Even the red design swirls on her dress are more orange than red. キットの参考写真では彼女のレギンスが赤色になっていますが、私にはどうもしっくりきませんでした。原作漫画において、作者の藤島康介氏はキャラクターのイラストを数多く水彩画で描いています。ベルダンディーやスクルド(ウルドの妹たち)が赤い衣装を身にまとっている姿はよく見かけますが、ウルドの場合はそうではありませんでした。彼女の配色は、一般的にゴールド、ブラウン、ブラックといった深みのある色調で構成されています。これが、ウルドが初めてカラーで登場した際の姿です。圭一の反応(背景の赤)に見られる純粋な赤色と、ウルドのマントの内側のオレンジ色とを見比べてみてください。彼女のドレスに描かれた渦巻き模様の赤でさえ、純粋な赤というよりはオレンジ色に近い色合いをしています。 |
 |
Again, here you can see the how Kosuke Fujishima uses color to help define the characters. ここでも、藤島康介がキャラクターを際立たせるためにどのように色を使っているかが見て取れます。 |
 |
Here we see the figure in the early stages of painting. ここでは、彩色の初期段階にあるフィギュアが見られます。 |
 |
I decided that I wanted to brush paint as much as the figure as possible. I think this is a reaction to plastic modeling, in that almost everything is painted using an airbrush. It's a more "direct" approach and there are fewer steps between the actual work and the finished result. Hand painting can be less precise, but it is more about the process rather than the finished result. The slippers are pure white and the sole and heel gold. I then used a brown Tamiya enamel panel wash to define the edges. フィギュアの塗装は、可能な限り筆塗りで行うことにしました。これは、ほぼすべての工程をエアブラシで行う一般的なプラモデル製作への反動かもしれません。筆塗りなら、実際の作業と完成形との間の工程が少なく、より「ダイレクト」なアプローチと言えます。精密さでは劣るかもしれませんが、筆塗りにおいては完成した結果そのものよりも、むしろその「過程」こそが重要だからです。スリッパは純白にし、靴底とヒールは金色に塗りました。その後、タミヤのエナメル塗料(パネルウォッシュのブラウン)を使って、輪郭やエッジを際立たせました。 |
 |
Urd's hair is white with streaks of blueish black. The sculpting of the hair is smooth like stone, so these details must be painted on. Initially, I brush painted the streaks on freehand, but they didn't look right. I then cut masks and put them over the streaks and then misted pure white back on the hair. ウルドの髪は白を基調とし、青みがかった黒の筋が入っています。髪の造形は石のように滑らかなため、その筋の模様は塗装で表現する必要があります。当初は筆でフリーハンドで描き込んでみましたが、どうもうまくいきませんでした。そこで、筋の形に合わせたマスキングを切り出して貼り、その上から純白を薄く吹き付けて(ミスト状に塗装して)仕上げました。 |
 |
Here is the result once the masks were removed. マスクを外した後の結果がこちらです。 |
 |
Time to paint in the face. I screen grabbed as many early Urd faces as I could find to help get the expression right. Painting the eyes is the most important part of the whole process. いよいよ顔の描き込みです。表情を正確に捉えるため、初期のウルドの顔の画像をできるだけ多くキャプチャして参考にしました。目元を描くのは、全工程の中で最も重要な部分です。 |
 |
The basic elements are lightly penciled onto the face. I changed the direction she is looking and penciled in her "Goddess Face Markings" (?) under her eyes. The two holes under her ears are for the two hair "tusks." 顔に基本的な要素を軽く鉛筆で下書きしました。視線の向きを変え、目の下には「女神の顔の模様(?)」を描き入れました。耳の下にある2つの穴は、髪の毛でできた「牙」のようなパーツを取り付けるためのものです。 |
 |
It's not perfect, but at some point you have to be happy with what it is, otherwise no future models will ever get built! 完璧ではありませんが、ある時点ではその出来栄えに満足しなければなりません。そうでなければ、将来のモデルが作られることは決してないでしょうから。 |
 |
I ended up re-building one of the hair "tusks." The original didn't match the other and also did not lay right. These are made from epoxy. 結局、髪の「牙」のようなパーツの一つを作り直すことにしました。元のものはもう片方と形が合わず、収まりも悪かったからです。これらはエポキシ樹脂で作られています。 |
 |
I tried to paint the shadowing as it appears in the manga...and it looked terrible. Fortunately I was able to remove it without messing things up. Experimentation is scary, but also important. If you do not try new things, you will only be able to repeat what you have done. You have decide which is more important, the process or the end result. You can also see that there is a pipe cleaner inserted into the head. I initially used them to connect parts to stands for painting. I then realized that they would also be great as connectors for the finished model. 漫画の描写を参考に影の塗装を試してみたのですが、ひどい出来栄えになってしまいました。幸い、他の部分を台無しにすることなく修正できました。新しい試みは怖いものですが、同時に重要なことでもあります。新しいことに挑戦しなければ、過去の繰り返ししかできませんから。プロセスを重視するのか、それとも最終的な仕上がりを重視するのか、自分で決める必要があります。ちなみに、頭部にパイプクリーナーが差し込まれているのが見えるかと思います。最初は塗装のためにパーツをスタンドへ固定する目的で使っていたのですが、完成後のモデルの接続パーツとしても最適だと気づいたのです。 |
 |
Pipe cleaners make great connectors. They fit tightly into the hole and are flexible to allow some positioning. They are also cheap, easy to make and replace. I used pipe cleaner connections for the hands of the finished model. The small hole at the for is for Urd's "Ahoge." モールは接続パーツとして最適です。穴にしっかりと収まり、柔軟性があるため、ある程度の位置調整も可能です。安価で、製作や交換も簡単です。完成したモデルの手の部分には、このモールによる接続方法を採用しました。先端にある小さな穴は、ウルドの「アホ毛」を取り付けるためのものです。 |
 |
For the Ahoge I carved the pour stub into the connector pin. This allows me to transport the model more easily knowing that the fragile bits won't get broken. アホ毛については、湯口(ランナーの接続部)をそのまま接続用のピンとして削り出しました。こうすることで、折れやすい部分を破損させる心配なく、モデルをより安全に持ち運ぶことができます。 |
 |
Another image showing the painting. The design motif on the dress came scribed onto the model. These were painted with a brush and took several coats. The part of the figure with the most painted detail were the hands. Compare this image with the finished gallery pics to see what I mean. その塗装の様子を示す別の画像です。ドレスの模様は、あらかじめモデルに彫り込まれていました。それらは筆で塗装し、何度か塗り重ねています。フィギュアの中で、塗装によるディテールが最も細かく施されているのは手元です。完成後のギャラリー画像と見比べていただければ、その違いがお分かりいただけると思います。 |
Here are the gallery shots of the finished model. I shot these on a Flotone black to white background using my Android phone. The phone was put in stand and I took a number of different shots for each image which were combined using a focus stack in Photoshop. I used colored lights to give the model a little zing.
完成したモデルのギャラリー写真をご紹介します。撮影にはAndroidスマートフォンを使用し、背景には「Flotone」の黒から白へグラデーションがかかったシートを用いました。スマートフォンをスタンドに固定して各構図で複数枚の写真を撮影し、それらをPhotoshopのフォーカススタック機能で合成しています。また、モデルに少しアクセントを加えるためにカラーライトを使用しました。
For what seems like a simple sculpt, the figure is actually quite dynamic. The figure is not static, look at the hair and dress. She is mid-stride, only the tip of her left foot touches the ground. Her arms are up, mid-way through the casting of a spell. Her body is upright, the torso arched back and the head is down. Compare this to the typical standing poses that were common in the 90s and you will see that it is subtle and unique. While my skills at building this figure are not perfect, the over all impression is strong and eye catching. I am happy with this, despite some of the obvious flaws.
一見シンプルな造形に見えますが、実際には非常に躍動感のあるフィギュアです。髪やドレスの表現を見ればわかる通り、決して静止したようなポーズではありません。彼女は歩みを進めている最中で、左足のつま先だけが地面に触れています。両腕は魔法を唱えている途中のように掲げられ、上半身は直立しつつも背中を反らせ、顔は下を向いています。90年代によく見られた典型的な立ち姿と比べてみると、そのポーズがいかに繊細かつユニークであるかが分かるでしょう。組み立ての技術は完璧とは言えませんが、全体的な印象は力強く、見る人の目を引くものに仕上がっています。いくつかの明らかな欠点はあるものの、この出来栄えには満足しています。
I leave you with (one of) my current projects...
最後に、私が現在取り組んでいるプロジェクトの一つをご紹介します……
Enjoy!
楽しむ!
No comments:
Post a Comment