Pages

Monday, December 2, 2019

So very Tired...

The last few weeks I have been so very tired. No energy...one might even say "sad", but of course this would mean that either I or someone who knows me would be admitting that I do have emotions after all.


Too something to do real work (as if doing one's hobby was real work), so I pull out boxes of half built kits. The potential of finishing an old project, thinking about what could be...at least it's distracting. This is the 1/350th Polar Lights D7. I learned that it wasn't actually molded in black to punish me, this was an attempt on the manufactures part to help block light leaks from the light kit inside.


This is what I'm SUPPOSED to be working on. Never mind the other half finished model behind it. NOT LOOKING.


This is the other model that I REALLY should be working on too. A 1/350th Russian destroyer. I almost got it done for the nats this year for our club's group build. I stopped myself from just getting it done to get it done. I know, this makes me a loser, but a happy loser. A loser who is now scratch building the railings from .010 styrene rod on a special jig. Oh, I can't wait to show you, but not now, we really need to talk about the Millennium Falcon.

Our club has three quarterly contests every year (get it?), next year one is "Bandai"...so I unearthed the Perfect Grade MF. This meant digging into the internet at other builds...you know.

So I am building an vintage Airfix kit..."for fun". A Henschel 123:


I really like looking at vintage kits like this, they evoke certain...you thought I was going to say feelings...but we have already gone over that. Anyway. as one builds more and more and all that modeling baggage builds up, it gets harder and harder to finish kits. I mean there is so much to do, all the research on the proper building, the little tweaks and fixes, the PE parts, special historically accurate paints (thank god this model is not a zero)... I mean building is like planning a wedding during a wedding. Underwater. You know. ITS FUN.


So while your neck deep in these multiple weddings, wearing scuba gear, you see something shiny...oh look another wedding! I'll just plan this other quick one first...then get back to the original, then that other wedding, the second one. I just need to adjust my air a bit...hold on...


The more you look, in theory the more detail you should be able to see. (BTW, I'm listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8PGK0KPCM)


Right now if you are reading this, this which has nothing and everything to do about model building, then that means it's the other person who normally reads this stuff who is now doing something more productive. So it's just you and me. One count on the counter.


Unless, it is counting my view. Then it's just me. What happens when I stop?


The old Airfix Hs 123 is a nice kit. OK it has a lot of really large rivets....


So here I am wrestling. Deciding how much fun should I allow myself. If I do not completely purge this knock out under the wing...how much fun is it going to cost me...

This brings us (you and I), full circle:


A detail shot of the original MF. This is a model more worshiped than the U.S.S. Enterprise. People are cataloging every individual part of each version. I met a guy who has collected all the original kits that make up the greeblies for a particular Y-wing (king sprocket? Red spaghetti? Green rhomboids?). There are over 400 kits. In original boxes. Original boxes from 1975-76.


I mean look at this thing. The music from the Crown should be swelling right about now.


You know what, I think I can just leave this knock out.

As long as I don't take it to the Nats. Right John?


No comments:

Post a Comment