Pages

Friday, March 27, 2020

Hobbying In Place #5 Building the Airfix Handley Page Victor K2/SR.2

More Ugg. But first a hunk of Junk:


I always work on multiple projects. Here is one. This is the Bandai "Perfect Grade" MF, escaping the "Star of Death" from Episode Whatever. If you watch the sequence:

Phew Phew
The idea is to create a part of that sequence. The MF is overtaken by 4 TIE fighters. If you watch, you can see that the TIE's are in two pairs. The ships of each pair fly a sort of synchronized ballet. I have one TIE (positioned on the foam blocks) to show this. I just bought a second from Amazon. And an Eaglemoss USS Shenzhou, a Bandai 2199 Zero Type Fighter and another Eaglemoss Ship. Anyway, the other thing I'm going for in the space thing above, is to show the distinctive skidding or drifting movement of the Falcon. In ANH the MF moves like the back end is heavy and sort of slides through turns. It is not a ship that flies straight or true. Here is a MF supercut, go to 133:

MF Drifting
I am not distracted. I love sanding. And Filling. And the dust. And doing it all a million times.

Dream Sequence
Ok.


Back to the thing, you know "the Hobby". The nice people at Airfix got a lot right on this kit. Like these really cool engineered clear wingtips. All that just for the wing tip lights.


The nice people at Airfix engineered the building sequence very well. The way the wings fit together is well done. You can build the whole thing as a unit separate from the fuselage. It's a big AC, so not having to knock things over while building it is a blessing. Of some sort.


Here is my liquid glue. I taped the bottle to a chunk of plastic, this way I wont knock it over. This stuff is pretty toxic. It's like model airplane dope, you can literally watch it evaporate in real time.


This is scary pic of me airbrushing. You can see my set up.


Another swell pic of me, taken remotely from the shelf. This is what my models see as they make their plans to overthrow me.


I think the finishing of the fuse is done. So I won't go mad, I have snapped the wingies on quickly so it looks like I'm not rowing in circles all day.

Wish my models luck in the overthrow of their master.

That's it for now. Keep building in an uncertain world.

3 comments:

  1. Nice ... I'm working on a MF too but the 1/144 scale one. I have been looking for the Perfect Grade version with the water decals and photo-etch parts but sadly I can't find any for sale where I'm at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go for the non-perfect grade 1/72 MF, you really don't need that other stuff. That one goes for about $300. Keep in mind the PG MF has three landing gear boxes underneath, all the other MF's have five landing gear boxes. So, for example, I would get in trouble with the Star Wars Police if I made a diorama with the 1/72 PG in the ESB asteroid chase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Ro! Much appreciated. It's way harder to get non-Bandai Star Wars stuff here where I'm at but I guess it's worth a look :)

      Delete