Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Hobbying In Place #7 Building the Airfix Handley Page Victor K2/SR.2

When Will I learn?


The top of this thing is driving me crazy. It's a new Airfix kit and it's supposed to go together like silk. And, I have to say it does, but I took my eye off the ball by not test fitting everything. So now I have these gaps. Always test fit. Always, always, always!


Here is the thing on the thing all buffed down with 0000 steel wool in my Dremel.


I am using the stretched sprue method here to fill gaps around the intakes. In this case I dipped the sprue right into the liquid solvent and squished it in like a wet noodle.


I had the liquid solvent double stuck on a chunk of plastic. I finally leveled up and used a lid from an orange juice container. I put that rubber mat stuff (used for shelving) on the bottom. This allows me to unscrew the lid with one hand.


If you want the flaps up, these bits have to be cut away. Warning, this removal is not shown in the instructions!


These don't fit flush. All the locating stuff on the back will have to scraped away and the surfaces sanded until it snugs up.


Meanwhile,I bought another TIE fighter. Interesting box art, the ship looks like its upside down.


A lot of parts for a simple thing.


Here is a test fitting of the MF and two TIEs escaping the DS1. The clear plastic will be a black star field, the base sides will get clad with sheet plastic. This view shows off all the design angles nicely.


To put on more sacrificial primer, the intakes need to be masked. I am pushing craft foam onto the fronts.


I then cut a plug based on this impression.


They are pushed in. More primer.


I don't have any pics of the painting process. But I did work on the GPX Cyber Formula... Shelf of doom, here we come!

That's it for now. Keep building in an uncertain world.

1 comment:

  1. The aircraft looks like so much work even at the assembly stage. But then again I tend to rush things during the prep stage then regret it later during painting when faint mold lines, slight gaps and injector mold lines turn up in all their glory. Nice on the TIE fighter ... I've completed two so far myself ... one ESB version, and one ANH.

    ReplyDelete