Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Advertising Manager of the IPMS USA Journal

It’s been ages since my last post.

A few months back (after much internal deliberation) I took on a volunteer role within the IPMS USA as the Advertising Manager of the IPMS USA Journal. I am a person who likes being in control of my free time. “Giving back” is not a natural thing for me, I wanted to be really sure the organisation wouldn’t be saddled with someone whose tasks were not getting done.

I used to feel some guilt not being the one who always stayed to put dishes away, volunteer to help friends move or manage boy scouts to sell holiday decorations. I have slowly become more used to the idea that I want to do something. I recall everyone who ever helped me, but volunteering isn’t my first response. So I do a little. Right now one of these is helping with the IPMS Journal.

I have been doing this now for 3 months, more or less, and I have to say I am more OK than I thought. This is not a criticism of the position or the people I work with, merely a comment on my own state of mind in regards to doing work which does not revolve entirely around my own immediate desires. So far so good. 


If you are looking for dirt on what goes on behind the scenes at the IPMS, I suggest trolling the various hobby related forums on the internet.

So that’s a thing that has been unfolding. I have also been pretty busy with a lot of other stuff, mainly family, work and writing gaming stuff. As far as modeling is concerned my expectations about what it is to be a modeler are changing. I'll start writing about this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment