Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Hobbying In Place #2 Building the Airfix Handley Page Victor K2/SR.2

Building the 1/72nd Airfix Handley Page Victor K2/SR.2.


Today we are going to do a lot of fillink and sandink. Here was that big gap from part 1, now properly sanded flush. Pretty exciting.


Since I'm showing off, here is that other area, now sanded flush (again see HIP#1). By using the sprue as filler not only do you save those special trees made of oil, but because the fill material is identical to the model they blend together perfectly.


As a virtuoso multi-tasker I also started going through my stash. Time to re-org. I'm a tad OCD about this, but I do it because it's comforting. Like when Blofeld strokes his cat. Ahem.


The Airfix detail insert is a very sloppy fit. I pulled out a large unused interior part to use as a donor. I double stuck the Airfix part on top and traced with a soft pencil. Once the hole is filled I'll cut off the bulges and glue them on. This some sort of jet plane detail thing. Or the tail bump stop.


Once I started cutting the plug I released that making it in two separate sections would be way easier. Square section first (shown in place). In the pic I'm using a round file to make a channel to glue in stretched sprue to fix the fuse seam gap.


Here is that aforementioned sprue in place. I use a generous amount of liquid cement, while it is mushy, I push it down so it better fills the void.


Another secret weapon: I chuck a Q-tip into my rotary tool and wrap with 0000 steel wool. This makes a flexible ball that polishes seams like magic.


Here is the other half of the plug. The sides are sanded at an angle, like a wedge.


Pushed in place and a liberal amount of liquid cement to melt the edges. While its still mushy, I push it further in to fill any gaps.


That's it tonight. I'll be fixing this one tomorrow. Tomorrow, the sun will burn out tomorrow...it will be a nova....or a red giant. (Sung to the tune of "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow").

That's it for now. Keep building in an uncertain world.

No comments:

Post a Comment