Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Hobbying In Place #3 Building the Airfix Handley Page Victor K2/SR.2

Welcome to the Dust Farm!


So, I am literally forced to use putty from time to time. When the the nice people appear to enforce this, I use Tamiya basic type. If it were not so expensive I would spread it on bagels and bathe in it. Let's move on.


There are little gaps here and there that TPBT is good for. It doesn't seem to shrink, it's grey (so you can see it), smooth, drys quickly and has great bite. The nice people at Tamiya know their putty.


A card from M a number of years back. She understands the whole "putty" thing, She uses the term "Squadron Putty" the same way you would call facial tissue Kleenex. She is testing me.


Here is that insert part, now filed down flush to the rest of the fuse. If you look further up you can see it stands slightly proud. I knew this was going to be a problem.


The problem is this pesky bulge. There is no way to sand around it and get an even surface. I make some measurements.


Drill a hole in the center as a future locator.


And sand it off.


Yes, this a picture of dust. While all this is going on I have been moving display models off my shelves. It's like a modelers X-ray.


Some of these models I have not "looked" at in years. This is the first kit I ever airbrushed. I was at Bruce's, around 1993. Oh, he hated that airbrush. Surface is pebbly, but I like it better now than I remember. I have been going through a purging phase as of late.


Back to the Victor. In order to get the seams all fixed, we need to primer. This is my spray set up. Designed to be lightning fast to use. The air intake is built into the square tunnel and the hood part sits on the floor under a shelf at my right. The compressor is under the table to my left. I find if the tools are not easily reachable, you don't use them. I make sure everything I need to use is within easy reach. You would be amazed at how much it changes your modeling habits. Of course, I'm also a freak.


I'm trying out some silicone mixing containers. For primer I only use the most awesome primer on earth: Gunze Mr. Surfacer.


Here is the fuse primed. As you can see there will need to be some softening of the edges and rescribing of the lines of panel. Help you I can. (Laughs).


Same at the back. You can see that crazy opening is now filled and smooth. Just need to scribe and replace the bumps.


That's it for now. My son came down, so it's time to watch Star Trek Discovery. We are on episode #3. I like it...better than Piccard. I wonder if they make a model kit of the U.S.S. Shenzhou NCC-1227...

That's it for now. Keep building in an uncertain world.

1 comment: