Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Hobbying In Place #4 Building the Airfix Handley Page Victor K2/SR.2

More Finishing...Ugg.


This upper panel is a problem. Highly visible, unless the seam matches the other seams, it will be highly noticeable. I.e., it will look wrong. And this is a secret to quote good modeling unquote. Consistency. An average model in which every part is finished the same will look better than an amazing model with a highly noticeable flaw. Just ask Johnny V. When you look at the model, you want it all to fall together the same...nothing jumps out as weird. Of course, one wonders in a new world without judges or contests why this even matters is a very good question. Perhaps its time to update my programming. Currently the panel lines around the insert are noticably deeper than all the other panel lines. In this pic, I'm opening up the panel slots so that stretched sprue can be put into them and they can be re-scribed.


Here you can see that I have layed in sprue as filler using liquid cement. I probably should have done this differently.


While the glue dries I clean. I decided yesterday (yes I thought about this) that if I had compressed air I could just blow the dust off my models. A magical brush that shot air... While gently blasting the model I use the soft brush to loosen the dust. There are models back there I don't even have digital pics of.


Like this one: A BAD#1 prototype Russian armored car made in the 30's. It's 35th scale (small).


Yup. BAD #1 and BAD #2 on parade. BAD #2 is amphibious.


Another product of the dust farm: a 1/48th scale all wood Greek pentaconter (Amatti). This kit is around 20 years old now.


Detail shot of dust.


Back to finishing. The steel wool trick works really well on compound surfaces. The wool adjusts itself dynamically to conform to the surface.


This kind of finishing means going back and fourth, sanding, filling, priming, repeat. Now we are back to priming again. This is that silicone cup from last post, the old dried Gunze pops right out.


Here is that Gunze primer.


Lesson two of social distancing: Sharpie the date you bought something on the bottom.


This is what I normally use to mix, thin and get the paint into my airbrush.


If you cut the cup at an angle like this...


...the pour spout becomes thinner to pour right into the bottom of the paint cup.


More primer, more sanding, more of the scrapping with metal. All I can say is Ugg. This is usually where a model gets put onto the shelf of doom. What I have told myself is that these models just need to get built. Don't get all Natscrazy. Its not worth it. Better to get it done. That is what we are doing. Going to save my craziness for (whispers).


Look at those panel lines! These dusty tears make it almost impossible to type.  We haven't even really talked about the intakes yet...

That's it for now. Keep building in an uncertain world.

No comments:

Post a Comment